Monday, June 27, 2005

Getting Lost

I love going to concerts.

But as I have gotten older, I don't make it to as many shows as I used to. So I try to save my time for the really good ones. One or two a year if I can. More if I'm able.
Of course, that usually requires a trip to the "big city." I'm a great driver, and usually function as the "designated driver" since I don't do a lot of drinking. That seems to work out well. My basic problem is a terrible sense of direction...but, Mapquest usually solves that. (What did we ever do before Mapquest??) Nonetheless, I still usually manage to get lost at least once every time I head toward for the bright lights. This weekend, we piled in the car and headed for Boston to see Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo. What a great show!! They put on one helluva good party, and I highly recommend it if you get the chance. Don't hesitate!

Anyway, Mapquest got us there without a hitch. As smooth a ride in as you could want. Upon leaving, however, the Boston authorities threw us a curve. We were not allowed to exit the parking garage on the same side we entered it. They further blocked us from exiting the structure via a left turn, which would have sent us in the correct direction. We had to turn right. Ugh...our lovely Mapquest directions instantly became useless as we were forced to go in one mystery direction after another. And although my passengers were willing to help, they were all "feeling pretty good" at that point. Lots of interesting suggestions as to which way we should go were coming from every seat in the car, usually as we were passing the street they thought we should take or we found ourselves in the left lane with no way to get to that right-hand turn. How hard can it be to find one major highway? Apparently, fairly hard. :)
And why is it that when you get lost in an unfamiliar city, you are always sure to find yourself in the worst parts of town? Murphy's Law, I guess.

Luckily, one of our crew had a good sense of direction. And it only took us 45 minutes to an hour of driving around, retracing steps, hitting roadblocks, making U-Turns, experiencing the deja-vu of "haven't we been down this road before," and stopping to ask directions twice to find our highway. Then we were homefree... or homeward bound, I guess.
All part of the adventure. Makes it that much more memorable, I suppose.

Still, wouldn't it be nice to just be able to cruise in and then back out again without having to resort to "the scenic route?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home